You THEATER Here.
This week we continue our series of blog posts about each of the arts disciplines that will be featured at the Des Moines Social Club today with… theater. We believe that theater has the power to enrich lives and provide audiences an opportunity to delve deeper into topics and issues that surround our everyday lives. Remember to look for these posts every week until the Grand Opening on May 10th.
Whether catching a show in the Kum & Go Theater or attending one of our classes, theater lovers are in for a treat at the Firehouse.
Throughout the year, the Kum & Go Theater will feature a variety of different performances by the Repertory Theater of Iowa, Des Moines Metro Opera, StageWest Theater Company, and Des Moines Young Artists’ Theater Company.
We are excited to welcome StageWest Theater Company as our newest resident theater company. StageWest, by cultivating new opportunities for theatre artists and audiences, seeks to increase the understanding and enjoyment of life, society and the world through the presentation of progressive, contemporary theater.
Performances will also be provided by the Repertory Theater of Iowa. As DMSC’s professional resident ensemble theater company, they are dedicated to the production of high quality classic theater and innovative productions that will be shown through the 2014-2015 season.
Des Moines Metro Opera will be presenting a 90-minute adaptation of one of the world’s most well known operas: Bizet’s Carmen, adapted by Peter Brook. Part of DMMO’s 2nd Stage Series, audiences are exposed to this are form through operatic presentations in unorthodox spaces.
We will also be featuring work from Des Moines Young Artists’ Theater Company – a children’s theater group which focuses on social awareness through a cast of student performers with plays and musicals produced during the 2014 season.
In addition to performances, we also provide a classes for theater-lovers to engage with and bring their experience with theater to the next level. Come and learn how to sharpen your acting skills through various exercises, insights, and perspectives with Acting I and II where beginner and experienced students alike are welcome! If acting isn’t your thing, we’ll also be hosting Writing for Stage and Screen – students can learn how to perfect their story-telling craft and bring their stories to life.
The Des Moines Social Club is for everyone. No membership required! Des Moines Social Club’s events, classes and programming span numerous arts disciplines. There is something for everyone and all ages.
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!
- Welcome to our 2018 Summer Interns!