You MUSIC Here.
We continue our series of blog posts about each of the arts disciplines that will be featured at the Des Moines Social Club today with… music. Remember to look for these posts every week until the Grand Opening on May 10th!
We love supporting local and regional artists and look forward to creating opportunities for them to thrive in Des Moines. We offer a variety of locations at the Des Moines Social Club for musicians to use as an outlet. Whether you come to the Kum & Go Theater, the courtyard, our bar and patio, or the handball court you can look forward to good music and good times.
At the Kum & Go Theater we will be offering a variety of musical events open to everyone. In July 2014, we’ll be hosting Des Moines Metro Opera as they present a 90-minute adaptation of Bizet’s The Tragedy of Carmen, adapted by Peter Brook. This performance will feature principal singers and a chamber orchestra in a fully realized production, but tailored for a smaller venue. The Kum & Go Theater will also feature Soundtrack, in which a local band performs over the screening of a classical film of their choosing to provide viewers with the experience to view silent films as they were once presented.
The Courtyard will also feature musical experiences like Soundtrack as well as house local, regional, and national acts that grace the outdoor stage for a live performance.
Our ambitious new bar and terrace will feature many diverse musical events. DJ Eight Ten introduced a new fresh part to Des Moines with Pressure Drop, and after a successful three year run, the night is being reborn as Modern Love – mixing vinyl, positive vibrations, and open minds to create music without borders. But the fun doesn’t stop there – we’re also bringing back Open Circus, our weekly open variety show, to the bar in a new and improved format. Once a month we’ll also be featuring a happy hour evening event featuring the best jazz musicians of Des Moines.
The bar will also host Call and Response – A Variety Show that will be hosted by Iowa musician Patrick Tape Fleming. The night will feature intimate in depth one-on-one conversations between musicians that will not only talk back and forth with Fleming but perform songs together that have influenced the both of them. Guests can also go deep into their own heart and soul about the creation of music and perform.
Friends of DMSC can also head over to the Handball Court for Song Swap, where two local bands and musicians are paired together for a unique show that will feature original sets from each artist with a requirement that each act covers two of the other’s songs. Through the juxtaposition of genres, instrumentations, songwriting styles, and fan bases, this event creates a unique musical experience that begins when two acts intersect.
The Des Moines Social Club is for everyone. No membership required! Des Moines Social Club’s events, classes and programming span numerous arts disciplines. There is something for everyone and all ages.
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!
- Welcome to our 2018 Summer Interns!