World Food and Music Week 2016
As a run-up to the annual World Food & Music Festival, the Des Moines Social Club is celebrating World Food and Music from September 12th to September 18th with a week of diverse events featuring culturally and musically diverse artists from across the globe. The Social Club has curated 4 shows that include performers from Hungary to England by way of India, and genres that range from a brass septet to a troupe of Ethiopian azmari musicians and dancers.
Monday, September 12th
Fendika is a troupe of accomplished azmari musicians and dancers from Ethiopia. Fendika features six performers, including two dancers and a singer, and features authentic instruments including kebero drums, masenko (a one-stringed bowed fiddle), and krar (a five- or six-stringed lyre).
Wednesday, September 14th
Söndörgő is one of the most active and interesting world music groups in Hungary. With a modern take on traditional Balkan music, the foot-stomping, get-on-your-feet-and-move music feels like Bluegrass but sounds like something entirely new.
Thursday, September 15th
A fusion of Indian Bhangra beats and US club music, led by a front line of dhol drummers. Drum and bass, tabla and hip hop – not a show to be missed.
Sunday, September 18th
A seven-piece Austrian ensemble that redefines brass-band music. Utterly incredible skills meet the necessary youthful and charming freshness in playing, musical arrangements.
Celebrate World Food & Music Week in Downtown Des Moines! This week-long celebration culminates in the annual World Food & Music Festival September 16 – 18, produced by the Downtown Community Alliance, which is a pillar of the Greater Des Moines Partnership. Learn more at DowntownDesMoines.com/Events.
- Interns Try: Cooking with Cass: Intro to Sushi
- 2nd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival
- Staff Spotlight: Heather Matson
- 5 Ways to get Involved in the Des Moines Arts Scene this June
- Artist Spotlight: Laura Ernst
- BASH: Garden Edition FAQ!
- BASH Band Bio: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- BASH Band Bio: The Maytags
- BASH Band Bio: Grand Ave Ruckus
- Interns Try: Beginning Aerial
- Interns Try: Book & Cook Julie & Julia with Chef Cher
- Community Spotlight: Dang Felton
- The Last-Ever Mickey’s Picks!
- Decadent Desserts at the Social Club
- A Quick Guide to Des Moines on September 24th