Welcome Our New Events Manager
We’re excited to announce that Mickey Davis has joined the Des Moines Social Club team as our events manager. Mickey will assist in expanding our event offerings and oversee existing programming. As we on the verge of beginning construction at the firehouse, Mickey will help look for new opportunities we prepare for future events in our new home. Mickey will also collaborate with local volunteers and artists to coordinate new weekly events, as well as larger events throughout the year.
Zachary Manneheimer, executive director for the Des Moines Social Club says, “Mickey has chosen to come back to Des Moines instead of moving onto a larger city, in order to help make our city recognized as a major cultural scene. I sure wish there were more Mickey’s out there, and I’m really happy with the one we have. Watch out Des Moines – he’s taking over!”
Introduction from Mickey…
As the newest member of the Social Club staff, I’d like to introduce myself and hopefully start a dialogue with anyone reading this post. I’m 21 years old, originally from Des Moines (and by that I mean Waukee, but I try to keep that on the down low), but I have spent the past three and a half years living and studying in St. Paul, Minnesota at Macalester College. Moving back to Des Moines after school struck a lot of my friends as an odd choice, but I truly believe Des Moines is at a crucial moment right now in its development as a city. Being home during the summer and working with 80/35 and the Arts Festival, I talked to people who have been working to better the arts scene here for years, and most if not all of them believe that the current movement to foster creativity in the city is the strongest that has ever happened. I’m sick of people telling me that they want to move away and eventually “settle” in Des Moines, and it’s become my goal to help create a scene where my moving back right after school to live here is no longer an exception to the rule.
When not working at the Club, I’m busy making music under the name Is Home Is. Call me / email me / find me at a show some time and introduce yourself, tell me about an event you want to see in Des Moines, then plan it and make it happen with me. I’m excited for what the future holds for this city.
You can get in touch with Mickey at email@example.com.
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!