Out Your Artist – October 11
An Artistic Coming Out Party
Presented in collaboration by
Des Moines Social Club
Salisbury House & Gardens
Central Iowa Shelter & Services
October 11, 2012 – National Coming Out Day
Observed all over the world on October 11th since 1988, National Coming Out Day encourages those in the gay, lesbian and transgender community to “come out of the closet” and tell those closest to them their proud and honest truth about their sexual orientation.
Out Your Artist has been modeled after this event, and devised as a day for those who are ready to take the leap from being a “closeted artist” to an “outed artist”. 20 local artists will present their work in all artistic disciplines and mediums for the first time in a public setting. Additionally, the names of the artists will not be released prior to the event, so as to keep the artists a secret from those who know them best, until the right moment arrives.
You don’t have to have gone to art school to be an artist. You don’t have to be a professional painter, sculptor, or writer. Just as there is art all around us, there are artists all around us. From your boss, to your child, to those in our community who call the streets home, many are creating everyday, but not many are showcasing their creations. DMSC’s core belief is that everyone is an artist; everyone is inherently creative, sometimes you simply have to encourage people to recognize this fact. Out Your Artist has grown from these beliefs.
There will also be celebrity guests on hand – community leaders who you may not have known have an artistic streak in them. Audiences will be invited into Salisbury House and be able to take a self-guided tour of the artwork throughout the historic home. Live performances will take place every half-hour, and refreshments and hors d’oeuvres will be available.
The goal of Out Your Artist is to show the community that there is a great deal of hidden talent here, and to encourage other “closeted artists” to come out and show the world their artistic passions. We will also pay homage to those observing National Coming Out Day and stand in solidarity as brave individuals come out of the closet.
Date: October 11, 2012
Location: Salisbury House & Gardens
Proceeds go to support local non-profits: Des Moines Social Club, Salisbury House & Gardens and Central Iowa Shelter & Services.
Get more information and download the artist application at http://desmoinessocialclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Out-Your-Artist-APP-2012.pdf
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!