New Season of Story Mob Begins on April 9
Get ready for a new season of Story Mob, a quarterly storytelling event presented by Des Moines Social Club and CULTUREAL. Sponsored by Hillyard Des Moines, Story Mob provides local storytellers an opportunity to share a 5-minute story, fiction or non-fiction, focused upon a unique story prop chosen for each event. Included among the storytellers are Cultural Ambassadors who will lend cultural perspective to each story prop. Although storytellers are encouraged to interpret the theme, their ability to fully incorporate the story prop into their tale will greatly improve their chances to win cash prizes.
Storytellers are given a score by a panel of three judges consisting of one audience member, one celebrity judge, and one permanent judge. The storyteller with the highest score is awarded $100 in cash. Storytellers must also raise mob support. The mob (general audience) scores the storyteller on a blank sheet of paper which they wad up and throw onto the stage. At the end of the evening, the storyteller with the greatest mob support (as determined by three random scores) is awarded $50 in cash.
Audience members are asked to listen and participate in the scoring process. They are also encouraged to tell a story, but telling a story is not a requirement.
Story Mob is held at the Des Moines Social Club, 400 Walnut Street. Admission is $5. Attendees are encouraged to bring the story props to be donated to a charity of the month.
Tuesday, April 9th (7:00-9:00PM) Story Mob 2.1
Selected Story Prop: Umbrella
Thursday, June 27th (7:00-9:00PM) Story Mob 2.2
Selected Story Prop: Children’s Book
Thursday, August 22 (7:00-9:00PM) Story Mob 2.3
Selected Story Prop: Backpack
Thursday, November 21st (7:00-9:00PM) Story Mob 2.4
Selected Story Prop: Blanket
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!