New Season of Story Mob Begins on April 9
Get ready for a new season of Story Mob, a quarterly storytelling event presented by Des Moines Social Club and CULTUREAL. Sponsored by Hillyard Des Moines, Story Mob provides local storytellers an opportunity to share a 5-minute story, fiction or non-fiction, focused upon a unique story prop chosen for each event. Included among the storytellers are Cultural Ambassadors who will lend cultural perspective to each story prop. Although storytellers are encouraged to interpret the theme, their ability to fully incorporate the story prop into their tale will greatly improve their chances to win cash prizes.
Storytellers are given a score by a panel of three judges consisting of one audience member, one celebrity judge, and one permanent judge. The storyteller with the highest score is awarded $100 in cash. Storytellers must also raise mob support. The mob (general audience) scores the storyteller on a blank sheet of paper which they wad up and throw onto the stage. At the end of the evening, the storyteller with the greatest mob support (as determined by three random scores) is awarded $50 in cash.
Audience members are asked to listen and participate in the scoring process. They are also encouraged to tell a story, but telling a story is not a requirement.
Story Mob is held at the Des Moines Social Club, 400 Walnut Street. Admission is $5. Attendees are encouraged to bring the story props to be donated to a charity of the month.
Tuesday, April 9th (7:00-9:00PM) Story Mob 2.1
Selected Story Prop: Umbrella
Thursday, June 27th (7:00-9:00PM) Story Mob 2.2
Selected Story Prop: Children’s Book
Thursday, August 22 (7:00-9:00PM) Story Mob 2.3
Selected Story Prop: Backpack
Thursday, November 21st (7:00-9:00PM) Story Mob 2.4
Selected Story Prop: Blanket
- Interns Try: Adult Beginners Ballet Level One
- Artist Spotlight: Laura Ernst
- BASH: Garden Edition FAQ!
- BASH Band Bio: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- BASH Band Bio: The Maytags
- BASH Band Bio: Grand Ave Ruckus
- Interns Try: Beginning Aerial
- Interns Try: Book & Cook Julie & Julia with Chef Cher
- Community Spotlight: Dang Felton
- The Last-Ever Mickey’s Picks!
- Decadent Desserts at the Social Club
- A Quick Guide to Des Moines on September 24th
- World Food and Music Week 2016
- Show preview: DMSC Presents: Fendika
- Show Preview: World Food & Music Week: The Dhol Foundation (DJ Set)