I spend a great deal of time promoting other people’s art – and I am honored and proud to do so. Rarely do I actually get to do my own art, it’s about once a year these days if I’m lucky. So I’m being a little selfish and promoting my own art to you – so just get over it and come see the show.
The Dumb Waiter and The Bald Soprano are two classic one-act plays that I have lived with for over 12 years. These shows deal with the issue of communication – our fears surrounding it and our misunderstanding of the ability to even communicate in the first place. Both plays helped launch the Absurdist Theater Movement of the 1960’s which paved the way for much of modern playwriting. Today’s writers like Tony Kushner, Tom Stoppard, David Mamet, Tracy Letts, Martin McDonough and many others formed their styles largely due to the work of our two writers here – Harold Pinter and Eugene Ionesco.
Enough with the history lesson – these two plays rock. They are a lot of fun, and certainly different from anything you may have seen before on our stages. This is the selfish reason I work for DMSC – it gives me a platform to produce my artwork just like it does for all of you. Come out and see the show, and support our wonderful cast and crew – and of course – come see what I made. It’s not too shabby.
We open tonight. Be there!
Thurs. 3/21 – 7:30pm – Dice Night
Fri. 3/22 – 7:30pm – College Night
Sat. 3/23 – 7:30pm
Sun. 3/24 – 2pm & 7:30pm
Wed. 3/27 – 7:30pm – Dice Night
Thurs. 3/28 – 7:30pm
Fri. 3/29 – 7:30pm
Sat. 3/30 – 7:30pm
Sun. 3/31 – 2:00pm
$20 for evening shows
$14 for Sunday shows
Advance tickets – Midwestix
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!