- DMSC meets DSMGG
- Des Moines Social Club: Ready for Next Chapter
- 48-Hour Plein Aire Painting Festival
- Iowa Beverage Food Truck Throw Down
- Station 1 Records Launches in Des Moines
- The Mixies
- Des Moines Social Club’s Culinary Loft Announces Spring/Summer Classes
- Summer Camps Announced
- New Classes Set to Begin
- Hearts Against Humanity, A Valentine Party for Horrible People
- Win the Best NYE VIP Experience of Your Freakin’ Life
- NEW: The Shop
- Des Moines Social Club Announces Full Lineup for Bash to the Future, Presented by Kum & Go, NYE at the Firehouse
- December Happenings at Des Moines Social Club
- November Happenings at the DMSC
When we started the DMSC, I knew one commitment we would make would be to do work that was rooted in this place. DMSC believes in growing local arts, artists and audiences, and we want to delve into what makes Des Moines unique and wonderful. We founded the CoLab project to build original pieces of theater around Iowa stories.
Our mission at DMSC is to use the arts to build community, to bring together different groups of people. So for our first CoLab we developed a dramatic biography of Evelyn Davis, a beloved local activist. It brought a group of people to the DMSC who had never previously set foot there.
For our current project, we took a 360 degree look at the issue of meth in our society. We talked to users, dealers, law enforcement, lawyers, legislators and families. A diverse team swapped ideas and started sketching in characters and scenes. Stories began to emerge, and a team of four writers (artistic director Matt McIver, executive director Zachary Mannheimer, video designer Chris Peterson and composer Chris Ford) worked through to get a finished script.
The cast includes Ivy Elwell, Gloria Dei Filippone, Meghan Glennon, Jim Morrill, Rashad Nagi, Devin Preston, KT Marie Scarcello, James Serpento, and Alissa Tschetter-Siedschlaw. We’re tremendously excited to be able to bring this work out to the public, and hope to see you there and start a conversation about this important topic. The production will open on Thursday, June 14 and run through June 24 at the Des Moines Social Club. Tickets are available for purchase via Midwestix.
What: MethLab, presented by Locust Productions
When: June 14 – 24, Thurs., Fri., Sat. at 7:30pm and Sun. at 2:00pm
Where: Des Moines Social Club, 400 Walnut St., Des Moines
Admission: $14 (adult), $11 (student/senior)