It’s been a memorable year, Des Moines!
What a year 2012 has been! I wanted to take a moment and review some of what DMSC has brought you this year, and ask for your support as we get ready for our final event of 2012 – the fourth annual BASH!
With five years of work behind us, the Des Moines Social Club has built a strong foundation for future success, and there can be no better indication of our progress than the accomplishments of the past year. We reached an important milestone in 2012 with the purchase of our permanent home at Fire Station No. 1. As we embark upon the renovation of this Des Moines landmark, this is just one of the many activities the Des Moines Social Club has undertaken over the past year.
We offered learning opportunities for all ages through programs including the summer Arts Camp for students in grades 5-8, Story What for preschoolers, and The Write Stuff: a playwriting workshop for adults. We launched the first annual Arts Catalyst Awards to recognize individuals who have created and sustained Central Iowa’s artistic landscape.
Serving local artists is a key part of our mission and in 2012 we worked to shine a light on them through Out Your Artist, Sensory Overload, Pedal Art, and Windows and Mirrors. We focused on creating community engagement with artists of all kinds by hosting regular events like Story Mob, to provide storytellers an opportunity to share their creativity, and musicians were provided a spotlight at our Jazz Lunch Series, Subjective Vaudeville, and Home for the Holidays. Des Moines theater lovers came together to produce thought-provoking productions at the Des Moines Social Club this year, including Meth Lab, Neighborhood 3, 44 Plays for 44 Presidents, and the All Metro Student Show.
From our weekly events — Team Trivia, Open Circus, and King Pong — to our big productions like Fireball at Simon Estes and the upcoming New Year’s Eve in Capital Square, The Bash — we’re working everyday to use the arts as a catalyst to create community engagement in Des Moines.
Please take a moment and give us a donation to help us finish 2012 stronger than ever! From $100 to $15 all contributions are helpful for us to move into 2013 and into the Firehouse!Thank you so much for helping to make Des Moines a culturally diverse and exciting place to live!
– Zachary Mannheimer
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!