Art. Music. Illumination. Party. For one night, DMSC will transform the courtyard of their new home at the Firehouse into an interactive gallery to illuminate the artists and musicians creating right here in Des Moines.
Featuring performances by Satellite State, D*ckweed and Tires, plus installations and live art by Van Holmgren, Asphate Woodhavet (Maxilla Blue), Body by Svec, Rachel Buse, Joe Crimmings, Lucas Moser, and Mickey Davis.
Attendees will also have the opportunity to interact and participate in light painting, screen printing, stenciling and painting a collaborative mural. An extravagant illuminated light art show will accompany the music performances, setting the stage of a truly unique experience.
About the Music
Tires will headline Artquake with their energetic, danceable electronic/instrumental rock. The band has consisted of Phillip Young on guitar and electronic sound manipulations and Jordan Mayland on drums and synthesizers since its formation in 2011. Chris Marshall joined the fray as a full time member in 2012, freeing the band to round out Tires’ massive wall of sound with more deliberate focus.
D*ckweed, a new Des Moines alt-country band, will make their debut performance at Artquake. This “supergroup” features a strong lineup of Des Moines Eric Moffitt (Wolves in the Attic, Mantis Pincers), Trent Derby (Wolves in the Attic, Volcano Boys), and Patrick Tape Fleming (Poison Control Center, Gloom Balloon).
Satellite State, a rock group featuring local high school students that are most well known for playing in Poison Control Center, will round out the Artquake music lineup. With influences of Wavves, Quasi, and WAXEATER, Satellite State make a rock band what it is: distorted guitar and bass, lyrics about girl(s), dorky drunk fills, and hot men!
About the Art
Local artists will showcase the process of creation to Artquake featuring:
– Van Holmgren – live painting of 3D wood piece
– Asphate Woodhavet (Maxilla Blue) – live graffiti
– Joe Crimmings and Lucas Moser – interactive light painting installation
– Mickey Davis – interactive video installation
– Emily Svec – live Body By Svec body painting
Thursday, June 27
Doors: 6pm, Show: 7-10pm
$5 at the door
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced