Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!
The Des Moines Social Club kicked off the summer with its fourth annual Food Truck Throw Down this past Saturday, May 12. Fifteen local food trucks competed for both the Judges’ Choice and People’s Choice Awards. In addition to the food truck competition, the event hosted live music and art activities throughout the day. All proceeds from the Food Truck Throw Down support the Des Moines Social Club’s mission of using the arts as a catalyst to create unprecedented community engagement.
Two awards were presented during Saturday’s event – the People’s Choice Award and the Judges’ Choice Award. Attendees were able to cast their vote at the event for their favorite food truck for the People’s Choice Award, which also narrowed down the top 5 food trucks for the judges to try. The People’s Choice Award went to Cornbred Barbecue of Ames.
Three local culinary artists judged the top 5 food trucks based on attendees’ votes for the Judges’ Choice Award. Judges were: Chef Artis K. Moore of Artis T’s Catering; Chef Eli Trapp, Sous Chef for Beerstyles Tap Room and SALT of the Hearth; and Chef Cassandra Spence, the Des Moines Social Club’s Resident Chef. The Judges’ Choice Award went to Taza Fresh, serving Mediterranean street food. Taza Fresh is a new food truck to the Des Moines scene, opening just six weeks ago.
Despite scattered showers throughout the day, the event drew nearly 4,000 attendees. This year, 9 of the 15 food trucks were new to the event, offering a wide variety of cuisines, including ethnic, gluten free, vegan, and vegetarian options. The Des Moines Social Club hosts 600+ events and classes throughout the year. Click here for upcoming events.
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!
- Welcome to our 2018 Summer Interns!
- Social Club awarded Bravo Greater Des Moines grant funding!
- Interns Try: Cooking with Cass: Intro to Sushi
- 2nd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival
- Staff Spotlight: Heather Matson
- 5 Ways to get Involved in the Des Moines Arts Scene this June
- Artist Spotlight: Laura Ernst
- BASH: Garden Edition FAQ!
- BASH Band Bio: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels