DMSC Theater Co. presents The Bald Soprano/The Dumb Waiter, March 21-31
Announcing the presentation of The Bald Soprano and The Dumb Waiter, March 21-31 at the Des Moines Social Club. These two classic one act plays will be presented together for the first time ever to represent dichotomies in the breakdown of communication.
The Bald Soprano by Eugene Ionesco, the foremost playwright of the Theater of the Absurd genre, throws together a cast of characters including the quintessential British middle-class family the Smiths, their guests the Martins, their maid Mary, and a fire chief determined to extinguish all fires — including their hearths. It’s an archetypical absurdist tale and Ionesco displays his profound take on the problems inherent in modern communication. The Bald Soprano, written in 1950, is one of the most performed plays in France. The DMSC Theater Co.’s interpretation of the play will also explore the use of social media as a communication medium in today’s society.
The Dumb Waiter is one of Off-Broadway’s most successful productions. This mysterious and moody study in suspense concerns two professional killers who wait apprehensively in a grubby, windowless basement room for word of their next macabre assignment. Nobel Prize-winning playwright Harold Pinter wrote The Dumb Waiter in 1957. The play has seen many famous actors take lead roles in the production, including John Travolta and Jason Issacs.
These two productions will highlight the tremendous talent of Des Moines’ local theater scene. They are directed by Des Moines Social Club executive director, Zachary Mannheimer and feature a stunning cast of actors: Scott Siepker (Iowa Nice Guy), Brendan Dunphy (The McDonagh Project, Science Channel’s Insects in the City), Joe Smith, Mary Bricker (44 Plays for 44 Presidents), Eric Lee, Laryssa Husiak, KT Marie Scarcello, and Michael Davenport.
A special dice night will be held on Wednesday, March 27 at 7:30pm. Buy tickets at the door for whatever price rolls on a 20-sided dice! The DMSC Theater Co. is also adding a new performance time on Sunday, March 24 at 7:30pm.
DMSC Theater Co. Presents The Bald Soprano/The Dumb Waiter
Director – Zachary Mannheimer
Actors, The Bald Soprano – Joe Smith (Mr. Smith), Mary Bricker (Mrs. Smith), Eric Lee (Mr. Martin), Laryssa Husiak (Mrs. Martin), KT Marie Scarcello (Mary the Maid), Michael Davenport (Fire Chief)
Actors, The Dumb Waiter Actors – Brendan Dunphy (Ben), Scott Siepker (Gus)
March 21-24, Thurs.-Sat. at 7:30pm, Sun. at 2:00pm and 7:30pm and March 27-31, Wed.-Sat. at 7:30pm, Sun. at 2:00pm
Des Moines Social Club, 400 Walnut Street, Des Moines
$20 for evening shows or $14 for Sunday matinees via Midwestix. Wed., March 27 is Dice Night. Get tickets at the door for whatever price rolls on a twenty-sided dice!
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!