DMSC Board Profile: Chad Cox
Q: How long have you been involved with the DMSC? What’s your role within the organization?
A: Two years – Board Director, Story Mob Host.
Q: Why are you a DMSC board member?
A: DMSC aligns with my own passion to facilitate community and provide opportunities for artists.
Q: What’s your favorite thing about living in Des Moines?
A: Unlimited access to endless possibilities.
Q: What’s the best thing about Des Moines’ arts, culture, and entertainment community?
A: The shared desire we have to improve our offering and impact our community.
Q: Tell us a bit about your personal involvement with the arts?
A: I am a published author, storyteller, photographer, and curator. (I produced two art exhibits this past year.) I am also a contributor to Art Beacon and the host of Story Mob. In addition to DMSC, I work closely with Metro Arts Alliance (I’m a former member of their Board of Directors) and ArtStop.
Q: What’s your favorite DMSC event memory?
A: My first memory of DMSC was helping them, along with my five year-old son, move out of the old building. We walked by a series of stage props, mutilated body parts including a decapitated head, and he asked me what they were. I told him they must have blown somebody up in one of the plays. He couldn’t figure out why anyone would have body parts lying around.
Q: What upcoming DMSC event are you most looking forward to attending?
A: As host, I’m really looking forward to Story Mob 1.3 on October 4th! Sharing a story is the fastest way to build connections in the community, and I can’t wait to hear what people have to share!
Q: In what other ways are you involved in the Des Moines community?
A: I am a former instructor at LSI Refugee Community Center, and continue as a volunteer with a focus upon helping people obtain employment. (I teach them job and interview skills.) I am also an active partner with CultureAll, Ruth Harbor, and Habitat for Humanity.
- DYNAMIC ARTS AND CULTURE NONPROFIT SEEKS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
- Artist Spotlight: Laura Ernst
- BASH: Garden Edition FAQ!
- BASH Band Bio: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- BASH Band Bio: The Maytags
- BASH Band Bio: Grand Ave Ruckus
- Interns Try: Beginning Aerial
- Interns Try: Book & Cook Julie & Julia with Chef Cher
- Community Spotlight: Dang Felton
- The Last-Ever Mickey’s Picks!
- Decadent Desserts at the Social Club
- A Quick Guide to Des Moines on September 24th
- World Food and Music Week 2016
- Show preview: DMSC Presents: Fendika
- Show Preview: World Food & Music Week: The Dhol Foundation (DJ Set)