DMSC Board Profile: Chad Cox
Q: How long have you been involved with the DMSC? What’s your role within the organization?
A: Two years – Board Director, Story Mob Host.
Q: Why are you a DMSC board member?
A: DMSC aligns with my own passion to facilitate community and provide opportunities for artists.
Q: What’s your favorite thing about living in Des Moines?
A: Unlimited access to endless possibilities.
Q: What’s the best thing about Des Moines’ arts, culture, and entertainment community?
A: The shared desire we have to improve our offering and impact our community.
Q: Tell us a bit about your personal involvement with the arts?
A: I am a published author, storyteller, photographer, and curator. (I produced two art exhibits this past year.) I am also a contributor to Art Beacon and the host of Story Mob. In addition to DMSC, I work closely with Metro Arts Alliance (I’m a former member of their Board of Directors) and ArtStop.
Q: What’s your favorite DMSC event memory?
A: My first memory of DMSC was helping them, along with my five year-old son, move out of the old building. We walked by a series of stage props, mutilated body parts including a decapitated head, and he asked me what they were. I told him they must have blown somebody up in one of the plays. He couldn’t figure out why anyone would have body parts lying around.
Q: What upcoming DMSC event are you most looking forward to attending?
A: As host, I’m really looking forward to Story Mob 1.3 on October 4th! Sharing a story is the fastest way to build connections in the community, and I can’t wait to hear what people have to share!
Q: In what other ways are you involved in the Des Moines community?
A: I am a former instructor at LSI Refugee Community Center, and continue as a volunteer with a focus upon helping people obtain employment. (I teach them job and interview skills.) I am also an active partner with CultureAll, Ruth Harbor, and Habitat for Humanity.
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!