Des Moines Social Club’s Culinary Loft Announces Spring/Summer Classes
Prepare your appetite – Des Moines Social Club has officially announced the opening of its Culinary Loft, presented by Meredith Corporation and Cathy and Steve Lacy. To kick things off, the Social Club is hosting The Great Pig Out on Sunday, March 29; attendees will have the opportunity to see the newly renovated Culinary Loft and enjoy a special pig roast.
Amanda Mae Phillips, Des Moines Social Club’s newly hired culinary arts director, grew up in Kansas City and is a graduate of the New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, Vermont. Her experience ranges from working at a Classic French Bistro, Rustique, in Aspen, to focusing on desserts at the Veritas wine shop. Her love of food eventually took her to Whole Foods Market in St. Louis. When she caught wind of a Whole Foods opening in Des Moines, a place with a B.P.T (breaded pork tenderloin) sandwich and red velvet funnel cake, she decided to take the leap and manage the Bakery department.
“The Culinary Loft is a kitchen, yes, but more importantly, it is the kitchen of the Des Moines Social Club,” says Phillips. “The food to be shared at this table is made for the community, to support the community, and in most cases by the community. We welcome good conversation and hearty laughter to go with each meal served. Abandon all fear of burnt dishes ye who enter here.”
The Culinary Loft will feature a wide variety of culinary arts classes for all experience levels with classes beginning in April. Classes fall under three main categories: series, food-focused, and holiday, each offering a little something different depending upon your mood.
Check out the lineup of spring and summer Culinary Loft courses: http://desmoinessocialclub.org/culinary-loft
About the Des Moines Social Club
The Des Moines Social Club is an innovative arts and entertainment venue located in a renovated, historic art deco Firehouse in downtown Des Moines. The non-profit provides a home for local artists, offers unique programming spanning all arts disciplines, and brings people of every age and background together under one roof — all for the purpose to use the arts as a catalyst to create unprecedented community engagement.
- Artist Spotlight: Laura Ernst
- BASH: Garden Edition FAQ!
- BASH Band Bio: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- BASH Band Bio: The Maytags
- BASH Band Bio: Grand Ave Ruckus
- Interns Try: Beginning Aerial
- Interns Try: Book & Cook Julie & Julia with Chef Cher
- Community Spotlight: Dang Felton
- The Last-Ever Mickey’s Picks!
- Decadent Desserts at the Social Club
- A Quick Guide to Des Moines on September 24th
- World Food and Music Week 2016
- Show preview: DMSC Presents: Fendika
- Show Preview: World Food & Music Week: The Dhol Foundation (DJ Set)
- The Des Moines Jazz Festival FAQ