Des Moines Social Club finds permanent home; hires managing director
The City of Des Moines has awarded Firehouse #1 to the Des Moines Social Club. The non-profit arts organization will redevelop the firehouse preserving historic character. The space will feature a restaurant and retail locations on the first floor, with non-profit organizations and classrooms on the second floor. The firehouse garage will have a black box theater and “neighborhood” bar with space for outdoor events between the two buildings.
In the Des Moines Social Club’s search for a permanent home, the Board of Directors recognized the need to strengthen and expand the management team through the hiring of a Managing Director. Carolyn Jenison will fill this roll for the organization, being responsible for the operations of the organization and staff.
Chris Draper, Chair of the Board for the Des Moines Social Club said, “Earlier this year, we identified Carolyn as an individual with the skills to take this organization to the next level. Watching as she elevated the presence and professionalism of One Iowa, we knew she was the perfect person to take us there”.
Zachary Mannheimer will continue as Executive Director and lead the capital campaign initiatives. “With Carolyn in place, I can concentrate on raising the money necessary to restore the firehouse and to expand our programming,” said Mannheimer.
Jenison’s previous positions include Executive Director of One Iowa, a statewide non-profit education and advocacy organization, President for the Iowa Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, freelance publicist and consultant for the Civic Center of Greater Des Moines.
About the Des Moines Social Club
The Des Moines Social Club is a non-profit organization that delivers thought-provoking theater, creative classes for all ages, and supports and promotes local artists.
Des Moines Social Club’s vision is to the build a premier arts institution that fosters the social change, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit that revitalizes our city. They provide a creative environment that is necessary for the recruitment and retention of professional talent for the employers in Central Iowa, as well as a home for local artists of all disciplines to share and create their work. The Des Moines Social Club formed in 2007 and is currently located at 400 Walnut Street. Learn more at http://desmoinessocialclub.org
- Interns Try: Book & Cook Julie & Julia with Chef Cher
- Community Spotlight: Dang Felton
- The Last-Ever Mickey’s Picks!
- Decadent Desserts at the Social Club
- A Quick Guide to Des Moines on September 24th
- World Food and Music Week 2016
- Show preview: DMSC Presents: Fendika
- Show Preview: World Food & Music Week: The Dhol Foundation (DJ Set)
- The Des Moines Jazz Festival FAQ
- Cloris Awards 2016 Winner’s List
- Mickey’s Picks: August / September
- The Soapbox Vol. 2 // Madeleine Russell
- The Soapbox Vol. 1 // Ross Clark
- DMSC Presents: Fall / Winter 2016 + the first ever DES MOINES JAZZ FESTIVAL
- Meet Summer 2016 The Interns!