Des Moines Social Club finds permanent home; hires managing director
The City of Des Moines has awarded Firehouse #1 to the Des Moines Social Club. The non-profit arts organization will redevelop the firehouse preserving historic character. The space will feature a restaurant and retail locations on the first floor, with non-profit organizations and classrooms on the second floor. The firehouse garage will have a black box theater and “neighborhood” bar with space for outdoor events between the two buildings.
In the Des Moines Social Club’s search for a permanent home, the Board of Directors recognized the need to strengthen and expand the management team through the hiring of a Managing Director. Carolyn Jenison will fill this roll for the organization, being responsible for the operations of the organization and staff.
Chris Draper, Chair of the Board for the Des Moines Social Club said, “Earlier this year, we identified Carolyn as an individual with the skills to take this organization to the next level. Watching as she elevated the presence and professionalism of One Iowa, we knew she was the perfect person to take us there”.
Zachary Mannheimer will continue as Executive Director and lead the capital campaign initiatives. “With Carolyn in place, I can concentrate on raising the money necessary to restore the firehouse and to expand our programming,” said Mannheimer.
Jenison’s previous positions include Executive Director of One Iowa, a statewide non-profit education and advocacy organization, President for the Iowa Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, freelance publicist and consultant for the Civic Center of Greater Des Moines.
About the Des Moines Social Club
The Des Moines Social Club is a non-profit organization that delivers thought-provoking theater, creative classes for all ages, and supports and promotes local artists.
Des Moines Social Club’s vision is to the build a premier arts institution that fosters the social change, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit that revitalizes our city. They provide a creative environment that is necessary for the recruitment and retention of professional talent for the employers in Central Iowa, as well as a home for local artists of all disciplines to share and create their work. The Des Moines Social Club formed in 2007 and is currently located at 400 Walnut Street. Learn more at http://desmoinessocialclub.org
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!