Des Moines Social Club Announces Girls Rock! Des Moines
The Des Moines Social Club announces Girls Rock! Des Moines (GR!DSM), a two-week summer day camp for girls to receive instrumental instruction, form bands, and write songs to be performed at the GR!DSM showcase. The new program for girls 10-16 years old will launch in July (exact dates TBA). Girls 17-18 still enrolled in high school are eligible to participate in the Counselors in Training program. Registration will open soon at http://girlsrockdsm.com. Check the website for registration dates. Supporters of the GR!DSM effort are encouraged to make donations to support funding the program, equipment, and scholarships. Donate now at http://desmoinessocialclub.org/get-involved/donate. Please add GR!DSM in the first line of your address to designate your donation to this program.
GR!DSM provides girls an opportunity to collaborate creatively in an environment of mutual respect and positive self-expression. The camp aims to build self-esteem through music creation and performance, while encouraging social change and the development of life skills. GR!DSM offers girls across Iowa an opportunity to feel creative and empowered.
Campers will be instructed in their choice of voice, guitar, bass, keyboards, DJing, or drums, and participate in music workshops such as recording, sound engineering, and music art. No previous music experience is required. Local and touring musicians will perform for the campers daily and participate in a wide range of non-musical workshops that aim to build self-confidence and encourage creativity, personal exploration, and growth.
The program is seeking to partner with area music stores to provide instruments for campers without access to instruments. Need based scholarships camp fees will be available. The scholarship application is available on the GR!DSM website.
The Des Moines Social Club works to create creative learning opportunities for kids of all ages. Learn more about DMSC Learning programs at http://desmoinessocialclub.org.
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!