BASH Band Bio: The Maytags
Gaining in popularity over the years, especially since the release of their newest album, The Maytags have drawn attention from many and received countless outstanding reviews. Joe Lawler from Juice Magazine commented “Fast-forward to a year later and it’s clear that that band is just wildly talented, not a wild card.” Another review, from VICE, stated “The Maytags’ music swings. It differs from all of the Des Moines’ other retro offerings by its sheer vibrancy—there’s just warmth lining every note.”
Pulling inspiration from his hometown, right here in Des Moines, guitarist, singer, and songwriter Dustin Smith of The Maytags evokes the aura of the midwest while capturing an alternative and timeless vibe. With other band members coming from areas such as Central Iowa, St. Louis, and Northern Iowa, this captivatingly groovy band is motivated by the retro mood of jazz, all having studied the genre in their careers. Featuring instruments such as saxophone, drums, keyboard, trumpet, and guitar, among others, this group displays a tone of old-school jazz intertwined with a modern sound.
With the recent release of their newest album, Love Lines, this band shows how musically they have grown and learned as a unit since the release of their first EP, Nova, in 2014. Love Lines inhabits the aftermath of a breakup, with all of the bittersweet emotions that come with it. Because those emotions can be so diverse, the newest album displays the band’s variety in sound that makes sure to show that this group truly has something for everyone.
The Maytags are: Sam Mogerman, Nick Leo, Tim Sanders, Dustin Smith, Daniel Kreipke, Ben Chappel, Andy Poppen
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!
- Welcome to our 2018 Summer Interns!
- Social Club awarded Bravo Greater Des Moines grant funding!
- Interns Try: Cooking with Cass: Intro to Sushi
- 2nd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival
- Staff Spotlight: Heather Matson
- 5 Ways to get Involved in the Des Moines Arts Scene this June
- Artist Spotlight: Laura Ernst
- BASH: Garden Edition FAQ!
- BASH Band Bio: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- BASH Band Bio: The Maytags