Announcing bash: latterday plays, June 13-23
The DMSC Theater Co. announces the presentation of bash: latterday plays by Neil LaBute, a collection of three darkly brilliant one-act plays, running June 13-23 at the Des Moines Social Club. These plays explore the complexities of evil in everyday life. Two of the works, “Iphigenia in Orem” and “Medea Redux” have direct Greek influence, specifically that of Euripides. Buy Tickets
These three one-act plays are unblinking portraits of the evils that are abroad in everyday life; each is distinguished by the raw and yet lyrical intensity that has become Neil Labute’s signature. In Medea Redux, a woman tells of her complex and ultimately tragic relationship with her junior high-school English teacher. In Iphigenia in Orem, a Utah businessman confides in a stranger in a Las Vegas hotel room, confessing to an especially chilling crime. In A Gaggle of Saints, a young Mormon couple separately recount the violent events of an anniversary weekend in New York City.
The wonderful Neil LaBute is no stranger to great theater and film, writing a variety of other works, as well. For theater, he created Fat Pig and Shape of Things. In film, he created Your Friends and Neighbors, Nurse Betty, In the Company of Men, and Possession. StageWest Theater Company has also recently featured Labute’s work to great acclaim. bash: latterday plays is no exception to LaBute’s excellent canon of work.
Ron Gilbert, Yvette Hermann, Marnie Strate
Medea: Kellie Kramer
A Gaggle of Saints: Emily Stavneak, Sam Bates Norum
Iphigenia in Orem: Jonathan DeLima
June 13-16, Thurs.-Sat. at 7:30pm, Sun. at 2:00pm
June 19-23, Wed.-Sat. at 7:30pm, Sun. at 2:00pm
Des Moines Social Club, 400 Walnut St., Des Moines
$20 for evening shows or $14 for Sunday matinees viaMidwestix
Wednesday, June 19 is Dice Night. Get tickets at the door for whatever price rolls on a twenty-sided dice!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!
- Welcome to our 2018 Summer Interns!
- Social Club awarded Bravo Greater Des Moines grant funding!
- Interns Try: Cooking with Cass: Intro to Sushi
- 2nd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival
- Staff Spotlight: Heather Matson
- 5 Ways to get Involved in the Des Moines Arts Scene this June
- Artist Spotlight: Laura Ernst
- BASH: Garden Edition FAQ!
- BASH Band Bio: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- BASH Band Bio: The Maytags