80/35 After Party
Friday, July 4
Doors at 9:30pm
Des Moines Social Club Basement Bar
Richie Daggers at 10:00pm
Quick Piss at 11:15pm
Surfer Blood at 12:00am
$5 with 80/35 wristband, $10 without — Tickets at the door only
Located in the DMSC south building Basement Bar — below the Kum & Go Theater at the intersection of 9th and Cherry Streets. Drinks will be available for purchase to those above 21 with a valid ID.
Mixing the sun drenched pop/rock reminiscent of Weezer’s first album with the garage sensibilities of 80/35 alums Wavves and Stephen Malkmus, Florida’s Surfer Blood burst on the scene in 2010 with their single “Swim” off their first album Astro Coast. The album was listed as “Best New Music” and the track “Floating Vibes” finished in the Top 100 Tracks of the Year by Pitchfork. Their early critical acclaim landed them on festivals all across the country including Coachella, Lollapalooza and more.
Surfer Blood’s most recent album, 2013’s Pythons, has received much of the same critical acclaim. NME Magazine called it “an utterly charming album” while Entertainment Weekly said Pythons contained “…the kind of songs you used to discover watching MTV’s 120 minutes in your dorm room at 3 a.m.” At 80/35, come swim in Surfer Blood’s floating vibes.
— Des Moines Music Coalition 80/35 Bio, written by Dave Murphy
These Des Moines garage rockers infamous for their uncanny ability to melt faces will also be making their way to the DMSC 80/35 Afterparty for an encore of their 80/35 performance. Local audiences have been taking note of the primal rock tour de force that the youngsters effortlessly unleash — one that likely won’t stay our secret for long.
- Artist Spotlight: Laura Ernst
- BASH: Garden Edition FAQ!
- BASH Band Bio: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- BASH Band Bio: The Maytags
- BASH Band Bio: Grand Ave Ruckus
- Interns Try: Beginning Aerial
- Interns Try: Book & Cook Julie & Julia with Chef Cher
- Community Spotlight: Dang Felton
- The Last-Ever Mickey’s Picks!
- Decadent Desserts at the Social Club
- A Quick Guide to Des Moines on September 24th
- World Food and Music Week 2016
- Show preview: DMSC Presents: Fendika
- Show Preview: World Food & Music Week: The Dhol Foundation (DJ Set)
- The Des Moines Jazz Festival FAQ