5 Ways to get Involved in the Des Moines Arts Scene this June
June’s arts lineup at DMSC is incredible. We’ll look back at some of Des Moines’ best concerts from the last year, remember 80/35 festivals come and gone, see some amazing graffiti from some of the greatest artists of the 21st century and more.
You’ve grown so much! 80/35, Iowa’s biggest music festival, is 10 years old. To celebrate, the Des Moines Social Club is hosting a mixmaster poster design contest. Every year 80/35 has picked a different theme — from video games to robots to popsicles to unicorns — so there’s plenty of inspiration to choose from. The best posters will be displayed and put up for sale and displayed in the Viaduct Gallery. Artists will receive two, 2-day passes to the music festival, have a chance to win a VIP upgrade, and get paid of the work.
For more info on how to enter your design, check out the Call for Artists: Mixmasters event page. Submissions are due on June 15.
2. From the Pit
From Jimi Hendrix’s flaming guitar to Freddie Mercury at Live Aid to just about any of Madonna’s outfits, music lives on in the snapshots of live performances. DMSC is seeking photographers whose work displays the exploding music scene here in Des Moines. Anyone can enter their work to be judged, so long as they get their photos turned in by June 14.
For rules and to find out how to submit, check out the event page.
Des Moines has been around for 174 years, but you only have two days to capture it. Artists who participate will get a canvas and location somewhere in the city, which they then have 48 hours to capture. Anybody can submit their work and it only costs $5 to sign up if you bring your own canvas, $25 if you want one of ours. Painting begins on June 16th and the final products will be auctioned on June 19th at the Plein Air Reception.
4. Urban Visionaries Show
Pieces from some of the most famous urban artists will be shown in the Viaduct Gallery from June 22-25. Works from Banksy, Swoon and Shepard Fairey, among others, will be on display. On opening night, the evocative visuals will be accompanied by music and drinks. For updates, check out the event’s Facebook page.
5. Riverview Artist Salon
The sixth Riverview Artist Salon brings together artists from all sorts of mediums (think film, live performances, music, speakers, spoken word) into one show. It’s all taking place on June 22 in the Culinary Loft at the DMSC.
Written By: Adam Rogan
Adam is a Marketing Intern from Drake University.
- Help Support DMSC
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!