3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
Tickets for two-day festival on sale June 1!
The Des Moines Social Club and Civic Music Association will present the 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival over Labor Day weekend on August 31st and September 1st, 2018. The festival is two days of outstanding jazz performances in the Des Moines Social Club’s Prairie Meadows Courtyard.
The Des Moines Social Club and its partners began the Des Moines Jazz Festival as an answer to the overwhelming support and investment in the Des Moines jazz community. This year’s lineup is headlined by the all-female New Orleans jazz supergroup, SHAKE ‘EM UP JAZZ BAND on Saturday, and BOBBY WATSON QUARTET on Friday, featuring Kansas City saxophone player and jazz legend Bobby Watson, Jr. The festival will also feature notable jazz violinist CHRISTIAN HOWES, Iowa legends the HEATH ALAN BAND, local music prodigies THE UNDERTONES, members of the JOHNSTON HIGH SCHOOL JAZZ BAND, local brass band GRAND AVE RUCKUS, and Des Moines’ own NOLA JAZZ BAND.
“The staff and board of Civic Music Association are pleased to partner with the Des Moines Social Club once again to bring a weekend of great music to downtown Des Moines,” says Peter Stevenson, Executive Director of CMA. “The lineup reflects the vitality of the local jazz scene and offers jazz fans an opportunity to hear national touring artists like Christian Howes, Bobby Watson, Jr., and the New Orleans-based Shake ‘Em Up Jazz Band. Mark your calendars now for August 31 and September 1 and join us in this celebration of jazz!”
The price of admission is $10 for Friday, $20 for Saturday, and $25 for a two-day pass. Event organizers encourage attendees to bring their own lawn chairs, but chairs are available for rent for $5 per day. Food and beverage will be for sale at the festival as well.
The Des Moines Social Club is dedicated to making art accessible to the community. CMA is dedicated to engaging, enriching and educating through provocative performances by legends and rising stars. The Des Moines Jazz Festival’s presenting sponsor is University of Iowa Community Credit Union, with supporting sponsors Fred & Charlotte Hubbell and the Des Moines Register. For more information about the festival, and to purchase tickets on June 1, visit www.desmoinesjazzfestival.com.
- Learn more from the bands of The Sunken Circus dual-album release show!
- Call for Entries – Artist-Designed Mini Golf
- Social Club celebrates Wells Fargo 2018 support
- AMC Donates $50,000 to DMSC through AMC Gives Back Initiative
- Calling all Food Trucks – Throw Down Applications available now!
- Valentine’s Day at Des Moines Social Club
- You TEACH Here. DMSC seeks teaching artists for Summer 2019
- Teach a class with us – Spring 2019 Education Request for Proposals
- Calling all creative entrepreneurs!
- Interns Try: Cooking With Cass: Dim Sum and Then Some
- Prairie Meadows Donates $20,500 to DMSC
- disrupt – Call for Video Submissions
- 3rd Annual Des Moines Jazz Festival lineup announced
- Food Truck Throw Down winners announced!
- Welcome to our 2018 Summer Interns!